Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Final Summit by Andy Andrews published by Thomas Nelson

In The Final Summit the reader is invited to sit in the gallery and eavesdrop on last meeting of the Travelers, those people throughout history to which God has given the mission to help the world. Their wisdom and insight is then made available to other Travelers as needed.

One of those Travelers is David Ponder who years before had been visited by Gabriel and taken on a quest. At this final summit, with the fate of the earth depending on their decision David Ponder is called to moderate this meeting of the minds. In the words of the promotional material, “There is only one solution that can reset the compass and right the ship—and it is only two words. Ponder, along with a cast of famous historical figures, must work quickly to discover this solution. The fate of the world rests on their shoulders.”

And yet with the accumulated wisdom of the ages they miss it, in my opinion. The solution offered has its positive side but it is very American and it won’t save the world. There is no spoiler alert needed. I will not give away the answer but I hoped for a more transformative solution.

I did find the book entertaining, although a bit schmaltzy in places and it did force me back to my history books. Any book that gets me into another book can be considered beneficial.

Although I consider myself a history buff I had to do some research to more about Eric Erickson. When he was first introduced at the Summit I thought I was meeting the psychologist. Then as he was introduced as Red Erickson I thought I was meeting the man who discovered Greenland. Neither of which I would have imagined in God’s Conference Room.

A little research led me to the fascinating story of The Counterfeit Spy (played by William Holden in the 1962 movie of that name). This man was credited with bringing an end to World War II. If for no other reason I could recommend The Final Summit.

Although I believe all truth is God’s truth I have some questions about the presence at this final summit of those who refused to acknowledge God’s truth when they were on the earth. I believe that God is gracious but I think he prefers a nod in his direction before we leave the earth for our private summit with God.

This book would definitely be a good book for a discussion group on the condition of the world and what to do about it. My hope is that those who are still living would come up with a better solution than the Travelers.

No comments: